Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain (Paperback)
Usually ships to store in 4-6 days.
The more you know about snow stability, the better your travel and rescue skills. And the sharper your decision making, the better you'll be able to avoid avalanche danger and have more fun in the winter backcountry. In Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain, 3rd Edition, acclaimed snow and avalanche expert Bruce Tremper provides easy-to-understand avalanche safety tips and skills, including the latest snow research and techniques for evaluating snowpack, as well how to rescue companions in the event of an avalanche. Other topics include:
- How to evaluate terrain and decide whether it's safe or dangerous
- How avalanches work
- How to test snow stability
- How to control your exposure and lower your risk
- Safe travel techniques
- What to do if you're caught in an avalanche
- Search-and-rescue strategies
- Managing the human factors that contribute to accidents
As Rocky Mountain News proclaimed, No one who plays in the mountain snow should leave home without having studied this book. Clear, comprehensive, and engaging, Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain shares everything skiers, snowboarders, and other backcountry travelers need to know to stay safe in the mountains.